Family & Youth Initiative
This initiative is an outpatient program developed to meet the needs of youth, aged 12 to 25, and their family members and friends who are struggling with substance use concerns. Services offered are provided from a harm reduction approach in a supportive, non-judgmental manner.
We offer professional support, both to the youth with substance use issues and their family. We can work with parents, guardians, or other family members whether or not the youth is willing to engage in counselling. We also provide support for youth who are affected by parents or guardians with substance use challenges.
For more information, or to make a referral to the Family & Youth Initiative program, please contact our Intake Coordinator at (416) 234-1942x225.
Assessments & Referrals
We offer help in identifying a client’s needs or goals around alcohol or substance use. Our comprehensive assessments can include the Staged Screening and Assessment Tools that are required to facilitate a referral to day or residential treatment programs. We also help source other services or programs that might offer further supports.
Individual & Family Therapy
Harm reduction based counselling where clients can find:
- A safe and confidential place to talk
- An understanding of the connections between substance use and mental health
- Support in defining and achieving their goals
- Someone to listen without judgment or accusation
- Someone to advocate for the client or help them advocate for themselves
School Outreach sends clinicians to schools to meet with students who have been identified by educators as being at risk concerning their drug or alcohol use. The clinician provides support as well as individual therapy at the school location, if needed.
The Outreach Counselor's role is to connect with youth to address issues relating to substances and substance use They provide harm reduction-based presentations, workshops, and group support throughout Toronto, including in schools, youth shelters, drop-ins, and with youth in conflict with the law.
The Family and Youth Initiative program offers presentations to parents, professionals, educators students and young adults, whenever requested. These sessions provide information about drugs, youth at risk and parenting styles.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- The right to identify your own goals
- The opportunity to negotiate the frequency of your appointments
- The right to take a break or stop therapy at any time
- Confidentiality, subject to legal limitations
groups and workshops:
- Adult Information Night: our two-hour presentations are for parents, professionals, and other adults who wish to know more about substance misuse and its effects.
- Stress Management Group
All of our programs are free and confidential.